We start with the ugly because it’s always good to finish on a high note, right?
- Daesh (which is apparently what we should be calling those evil turds in Syria).
- Green grass and high temperatures in places where it’s supposed to be freezing in December. (Yes, it sounds nice but nope.)
On to the bad —
- My book sales (nowhere near Gone Girl at the moment).
- My book’s movie rights (none forthcoming).
- My invitations to appear on high-level talk shows to discuss my book (none as far as the eye can see).
And to the good —
- My book came out this year! (And people seem to like it)
- I’ve had publications in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Christian Science Monitor, the Smithsonian, and many, many others.
- I’ve excelled in meme-making:
I think the good wins. Y/N?
The other day I made a mistake and Googled ‘Rebecca Strong’. Not the first time I’d done it of course – in fact, since my novel came out I’d been Googling myself and the name of the novel regularly. Sometimes even between 74 and 137 times a day. In case I made the New York Times bestseller list, you know?
This time though – instead of coming up with nothing – the search pulled up a few results.
Unfortunately none of those results were from the New York Times. Or from the Publisher’s Weekly. Or even from the Kirkus Review.
Instead they were unlicensed translations into Russian of the article I penned for Quartz about why I wrote my novel under a pseudonym. Followed by hundreds of comments.
Comments that made me go like this:
DO. NOT. READ. THE. COMMENTS.
I must say the red carpet could be fun. As could probably be going on that stage and receiving a gold statuette (although worrying about tripping over a long dress would bring insomnia for weeks prior and that wouldn’t bode well for looking smashing). But I know I’d enjoy the after-parties and the goody-bags. Chanel and Hermes can make it up to me for all the lost sleep.
Long story short.
If you watch the trailer below and like what you see, have your people talk to my people***. I can definitely make it if Meryl Streep is too busy.
*** Fine. Just fill in the contact form.
…is finally here. Or almost here. Either way I can hardly contain my excitement. Which is why my total sleep over the last few days equals exactly 5 hours, 33 minutes, and 14 seconds.
And I’ve learned that the only way to lose sleep is either to be worried or to be excited. I much prefer the latter, of course. Unfortunately, gaining sleep still eludes me.
But I digress.
The momentous event that has had me counting pixels on my phone is my book. To be more precise – it’s the imminent release of my book. And to be more precise, it’s this:
MY COVER! (Excuse me while I scream, throw hands in the air, and dance around a little bit).
Also it’s this: my publisher is running a giveaway on Goodreads so go over there and sign up!
And this: it’s available for Kindle pre-order now here. Print copies will be available on the release date (June 22).
If you need me, I’ll be in the kitchen raiding my fridge for all the champagne and chocolate.